12.13.2009

Recipe Of The Week - Easy Pasta Alfredo

I know what it's like to hate dinner. I can't STAND it when the kids come around at about 6 every night and say "what's for dinner?" Ughhhh...."I don't know! Food." I say. The other night I was in this position and even needed to go to the store. Instead of packing up the kids I decided to look around and see what I had. It paid off. Here's what I did.


Easy Pasta Alfredo


  • 1 package of Penne Pasta
  • Olive Oil
  • Italian HerbBlend
  • 3 Frozen Chicken Breasts (I like to keep bags of these in my freezer. I have a freezer in my garage and stock up when they are on sale. Very handy to have around.)
  • Frozen Chopped Spinach (however much you want - I had a little over a quarter of a bag left so I used all of it up)
  • Three or Four small/medium sized tomatoes (I had a few that would have gone bad had I not used them this night. I sliced them up and put them in with the spinach)
  • 1 Jar of Alfredo Sauce
  • Red Pepper Flakes
Get out a large pot and began to boil water for pasta. Get a skillet and put some olive oil in the bottom along with about a 1/4 cup of water. Let that warm up on medium heat and then place the frozen chicken in. Put some of the Italian Herb Blend on the chicken and once it begins to cook down start cutting it up with a fork and knife or use your flipper (I use my flipper). 
-By the way, using metal utensils and cookware without the non-stick coating is better for you and your family because slivers of these things will not get into your food.




(Obviously) Once your water starts to boil add the pasta. Slice up your tomatoes while the chicken finishes cooking up. If you need to add more water or oil feel free. You may even add minced garlic with it if you so desire. Once the tomatoes are sliced up add them and the frozen spinach to your chicken. 


You can add any number of things to this. Feta Cheese, Garlic, Parmesan Cheese, etc. Get creative!

Cook this up until the spinach is cooked. About the same time your pasta should be cooked. Drain and put back into the pot you cooked it in. Add some olive oil and stir to keep from sticking. Cover. Add the jar of Alfredo sauce. To get more out of it add a tiny bit of milk to the jar and replace cap and shake then empty the remainder into the chicken mix. Cook this up until it's heated thoroughly. Top generously with Red Pepper Flakes. 



Take the sauce mix and add to the penne in the pot. Mix together and serve with garlic bread. Enjoy!


This recipe can be made many different ways. With frozen broccoli, red peppers, green peppers, peas and carrots, etc. Play with it!!




No comments: