Here's what I did -
- 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- Also - I added about a quarter of a cup of crushed Flax Seed to health benefits (and not a soul could tell!)
- Add any of these items if desired - Nuts (walnuts are traditional for banana bread but you can use any kind), berries - dried cranberries , cherries or raisins are my favorite, seeds - sunflower, hemp, ect. These will add flavor and some great nutritional content to your bread. Get creative!
No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.