2.15.2010

Recipe Of The Week - Banana Bread

It seems like I buy bananas all the time and they never get eaten. At least three will end up black in the basket and I used to just compost them because I thought that making something out of them would take too much time. I decided that either I am not going to buy bananas anymore or I am going to start using them and making banana bread. So, I found a simple recipe and tried it. And, you know what? It's SOOOOO easy it isn't even funny. Now I feel like a fool for wasting all those bananas! Never Again!

Here's what I did - 

INGREDIENTS

  • 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • Also - I added about a quarter of a cup of crushed Flax Seed to health benefits (and not a soul could tell!)
  • Add any of these items if desired - Nuts (walnuts are traditional for banana bread but you can use any kind), berries - dried cranberries , cherries or raisins are my favorite, seeds - sunflower, hemp, ect. These will add flavor and some great nutritional content to your bread. Get creative! 

METHOD

No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

YUM.

No comments: