12.08.2010

Where In The World Is Gypsy Jewels?

“Where in the World are You Wednesday – A Global Blog Hop!”
12/8 – 12/14
Everyone is invited to join us to blog hop and to share where you are from, it will be fun to meet bloggers from all over the world! Where in the World are you?
Please join your Hosts Simply Stacie who lives in Nova Scotia, Canada and Just Married with Coupons who lives in Rhode Island, US on a fun blog hop adventure around the world. Tell us as anything you would like, what country, state, city or region you are from, lets have fun!
Where in the World is Gypsy Jewels?
I have always grown up in the West Michigan area. I used to think I didn't want to be here until I moved to Florida - and then I couldn't wait to get back. Not that Florida sucks or anything, just that it's certainly not for this Michigan girl. I like to run barefoot in the woods in the summer if I want to - you can't really do that in Florida. Stuff will eat you.
My favorite thing about Grand Rapids is the history. We have so many beautiful houses and buildings, Grand Rapids really does have a lot of charm. It has that big city appeal, but it still feels like a community. I truly have yet to find a place that I love as much.

This is my city:

Heritage Hill is a part of Grand Rapids that is chock full of truly amazing homes from the 18/1900's. I LOVE these houses...
Rapidgrowth.gr (picture credit)
Many of these houses have been split into apartments or have been turned into businesses. Like this one below which is now a rehabilitation center for women 18+ to go to regardless of whether or not they can pay (Our Hope):
Though this is a "conservative" area, there are also a lot of people here who stay in the middle or are more liberal. I usually forget we live in such a christian, conservative area until most election times....then I commence to banging my head against a wall.

That is me standing up delivering the speech at Bodies Against The War - a demonstration that I organized with help from my amazing friends -
This kids and I on the HUGE tire swing downtown (located right behind the big red Calder behind me in the image above)
You could say I really love my town....
There was SO much more I could say about Grand Rapids - like how we have Art Prize now, or how you can often find me vending my wares at the Fulton Street Artisan Market or Eastown's Bizarre Bazaar...
But, I think I better quit while I'm ahead....plus it's YOUR turn!!


How to Join Us:
-Leave us a comment to let us know so we can follow you back & Tell Us Where in the World you are?
-Follow as many people as you like & Let them know Where in the World you are?
-If someone follows you, make sure to follow them back!
-Feel free to grab the button and post on your blog and help us spread the word.
-Have fun meeting new people from all over the world!
Here is the linky code:
ADD YOUR BLOG *AND* LOCATION FOR FUN!

6 comments:

AubrieAnne said...

Hello! I'm from Michigan too!!! but much farther north than Grand Rapids, but I do visit there pretty often because two of my best friends went down there for school (Aquinas College and Grand Valley University) and now live there.

It's a fun place. I can't wait to go back and go to Yesterdog and shopping!

AubrieAnne @ http://whosyoureditor.blogspot.com/

Juliea said...

I do love Michigan. My grandma lives up in the UP and my brother goes to college at Ferris, so I go north every now and again. It's increasingly beautiful the more north you go.

Mmmmm.....Yesterdog. Sometimes I just get a craving, you know? But, one time we left a purse there and we called them to see if they had it. They did. We went and got it and it had everything in it except the pipe I had just bought her while on vacation in Florida. Not like we were going to ask them for it. :P

Rajee said...

Thanks for stopping by. Love your blog and followed your blog from Mom's Focus

Michele said...

ha! I think I will be spending my first holiday in Grand Rapids, I think I have even been signed up for Ice Skating with my kids somewhere downtown (brother recently moved there). We are california peeps, so this should be interesting!!!

Juliea said...

There is FREE ice skating at Rosa Parks Circle - which is right in the heart of downtown. It's really fun. Something we don't do often enough - but we do go when we can! Also - we just went to the Children's Museum cause we found out Thursday's are family night and admission is only $1.50 for anyone over 1!

So there is TWO things you can check out while you are here for real cheap. Also - this is a GREAT website to find out what is going on while you are here...
www.grnow.org

Give me a hollar if you need any more ideas. ;)

AubrieAnne said...

I've been to the children's museum as well and it wa beautiful. It's a good way to spend a quite morning. Also, VAN ANDEL! It may not be the cheapest way to spend the day, but I saw my first concert there!!! If you like hockey you can go watch the Griffins play for about $15. I've been to a few games and they're fun!