8.05.2011

I don't care if you did or didn't breastfeed.

I wonder sometimes, well, that's a stretch....I know that sometimes people take the things that I speak passionately about, like natural parenting styles such as breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural birth, etc. as a personal attack against them if this is not in alignment with something they tried or even wanted to try. I would not at all be surprised if I was blocked from some feeds, and, that's cool. I really don't care about that either. That's the beauty of facebook, right? We can all be friends to each other without actually being friends to each other. Anyways, I digress. I often am put in a position of having to defend certain things that I say online and off - even though I almost never mean them personally against anyone.

I am an educated person who is pretty convicted in my beliefs - when I make up my mind it is pretty set and I will continue to learn more and more about it until I have no interest in it at all anymore (sometimes that happens). I talk about these things because I care about them and feel it's important to bring up the difficult issues.  Not because I care about whether or not you hear me, or you read my post, or you read my blog....but because I simply felt it was worth saying or worth posting. I don't go around looking for ways to make people feel bad.

When I choose to post something about how natural birth can be absolutely amazing, or about how breastfeeding IS the best nutrition and support you can give a baby, how circumcision is completely unnecessary, (or how 9-11 was totally an inside job), if someone chooses to see this as a personal attack or a negative thing, I can't help but wonder where it is really coming from within them. Obviously, there seems to be inner issues within that person, and it is not my job to fix it. I still don't understand why so many people will stand firm against common sense, evidence based information WITHOUT EVEN TRYING to open their minds and hearts to it first.

I do not judge those who choose differently than I do. I do hope that there are people out there who are inspired to do their own research, but, that is the most I can hope for. I happen to know for a FACT that my encouragement to look into natural birth and breastfeeding has led numerous mothers down a path of self discovery that they may not have otherwise found. So, I guess, if I piss a few of you off along the way - so be it. There is always room to agree to disagree.

My only hope for everyone is that they are fully informed of their choices. If you are not aware of all of your options, then you have none. We need to talk about birthing, breastfeeding, community, war, etc. These are the issues that are directly effecting each and every one of us whether we are willing to acknowledge it or not. Accountability is a difficult thing for many of us, but, that's where everything starts. Believe me - I do not have enough time in my day to find ways to offend people personally (unless you really do deserve it). I'm just saying, I don't care what you choose - just know what you are choosing and why - Also, respect my right to do the same, and my right to talk about it.

4 comments:

CariTheRage said...

Oh lady, I hear you! We are apparently masters at unknowingly pissing people off with our words. Le sigh <3

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing Julia! Very well put. I'm glad there are people like you who spread the word about things, but then don't try and force your opinion down anybody else's throat. I've always found that I'm much more likely to be open to things if I am not accosted with information, even if it's true. I also believe that if you're offended by someone else it's your own fault, even if the other person meant to hurt or offend you. Hopefully this isn't coming across as upset or sarcastic, because I totally do mean it and I appreciate what you said :) So, thanks for sharing!

--Diana

Jessica said...

I am sharing this! I also feel like people think I am attacking them personally by just posting the benefits of breastfeeding.

Juliea said...

Diana! I totally get it - especially the statement about how we CHOOSE to be offended, even if it it meant to be that way. The greatest freedom we have is the freedom to choose our attitude. Letting things get to you - no matter how true or untrue - only hurts you more in the end.